Re: [Usability] Switching between tabs with Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab and "recency list"

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Adam Purkrt wrote:

> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:27:18 +0100
> From: Adam Purkrt <purkrt gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Switching between tabs with Ctrl+Tab and
>     Ctrl+Shift+Tab and "recency list"
>
> Hello there,
>
> I'd like to discuss/suggest a well known and handy feature I miss in GNOME.
>
> So, is there any reason why Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab aren't/shouldn't
> be used to switch forward/backward between tabs in e.g. gnome-terminal,
> gedit, other tabbed applications?

I believe this was reserved for cases where users wanted to Tab through a
user interface but in certain cases (like the old File Chooser) the Tab
would be trapped.

(This came up a while back in another discussion, something to do with
Ctrl+Page Up/Down which I believe the HIG specifies.  I'd have to trawl
through the archives to check but I think that was it.)

> Ctrl+Tab (resp. +Shift+Tab) is in my opinion a good, convenient standard
> and should be in GNOME by default.

I'd like it too for what it is worth, old Windows habits die hard.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com