Re: [Usability] Save Icon

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Simon Howard wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:23:51 +0000
> From: Simon Howard <fraggle gmail com>
> To: Pedro de Medeiros <pedro medeiros gmail com>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Save Icon
>
> On 2/14/06, Pedro de Medeiros <pedro medeiros gmail com> wrote:
> > What about a file cabinet and an arrow pointing into it?
>
> How about a pen writing on a filing cabinet!

How about a Floppy Disk!

> (Kidding :-)

I think changing the icon will only cause pain for those trying to support
Gnome.  I'm unconvinced there is significant benefit to beginners - who
will likely still need the new icon explained to them - to offset the
pain.  Not that anyone has any data or usability studies to prove it
either way but I really do think we need better reasons for changing it.

(Street signs are deliberately abstract, and stay the same even though
modern techonology could include more detailed or realistic pictures or
use more colours but they dont.  They stick with what people know.)

- Alan