Re: [Usability] gparted usability (new)

--- John Keller <jkeller matchbox fr> wrote:

> On the other hand, there does seem to be some sort
> of weird logic to the
> layout: My 512 MB flash drive is exactly one half
> the view's width,
> while my 120 GB hard drive is 100%. Another,
> external hard drive is
> about 90% the width of the view. The odd thing: the
> external drive is 60
> GB - exactly one-half the (unformatted) size of the
> internal drive.

It's logarithmic. You can actually set it to linear,
which is pretty useless with different sized drives as
you say.

> Finally, keeping a single view ensures that the user
> has no doubt which
> drive he's working with. In light of potentially
> destructive operations,
> that seems to me like a good thing.

That's a very good point.
I think it trumps my desire to see an overview of all
my drives.

> On a slightly related note, since it was a subject
> of another thread:
> There might be potential problems for color-blind or
> vision-impaired
> people. Only solid colors are used, and some of them
> (ext2 and reiserfs)
> are pretty close in the spectrum. I'm no expert in
> color choice, I just
> thought I'd bring it up. I'm not even sure if people
> in that group would
> rely on the graph, when the text list is nicely laid
> out right below it.

I'm inclined to agree. The table below lists the
filesystem types anyway. The colours are a convenience
rather than a necessity.
But why not allow the user to change them? Clicking on
the colour boxes in the colour key could open the
colour chooser.