Re: [Usability] Re: two-panel nautilus view

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 16:56 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> Sure there are some benefits to Tabs reinventing the window manager inside
> the browser but speed was always been the primary reason for tabs in
> Mozilla.

I think tabs in Mozilla do some cool things that you could not very
practically do on a window manager level. One example would be
bookmarking all tabs into a folder, and opening all the contents of a
bookmark folder in tabs.

There are many applications that would not need a "tab style" solution
in the windows manager : games, instant messengers, gconf, floppy
formatter...

I think that the way tabs work is entirely dependent on the application
that uses them, just look at the tabs x-chat, firefox, vmware etc.
Nautilus tabs would work differently also, I don't think the
functionality available with tabs to these applications could be
properly implemented in a window manager.

> > > if you could drag and drop files to tabs, as in firefox for example.
>
> I didn't realise the tab head was a drag target	until you mentioned it.

I find this rather handy, I often drag links to tabs, to new tabs (drag
to free space on tab bar) and between windows. If you drag a link from
bookmarks or the bookmark toolbar, to the tab bar, it opens it in a new
tab without steeling tab focus.

Love, Karderio