Re: [Usability] Default document formats

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 11:28 +0200, Vidar Braut Haarr wrote:
[...]
> What's with this anyway? Defaulting to saving in some format that
> noone knows how to read?

"no-one" is not correct...

>  It's like .. you're living in Sweden but you
> speak Spanish to all your friends (who don't understand Spanish at
> all).

The same argument would be a good reason never to use Free software.
Hardly anyone uses GNU/Linux[tm].  You should use Microsoft Windows.

> I realize that MS formats are not open and free, but frankly I don't
> care. The only thing I care about is that the people that recieve my
> documents can read them.
> So I say: Make OOo and Abiword default to either saving in RTF (which
> would be sufficient for most documents - if the document contains
> things that RTF do not understand, it could just auto-switch the
> document type to something silly, like OpenDocument) or MS Office 97
> format.

it's Free software -- you can change your copy.

But the default needs, of course, to save data in a format that
is Free, and also that is lossless.

Liam