Re: [Usability] Default document formats

--- Vidar Braut Haarr <vhaarr+usability gmail com>
wrote:

> So I say: Make OOo and Abiword default to either
> saving in RTF (which
> would be sufficient for most documents - if the
> document contains
> things that RTF do not understand, it could just
> auto-switch the
> document type to something silly, like OpenDocument)
> or MS Office 97
> format.
>
> I filed a bug about this in the Ubuntu bugzilla
> today, but it was
> instantly resolved as WONTFIX, which I understand,
> but disagree with.

Perhaps one solution would be a prominent section in
the "Getting Started" section of the user manual,
called "Exchanging documents with other applications"
or even "Staying compatible with Microsoft Office". (I
don't have the manual to hand; this might already
exist.)

MS Word for OS X has a "compatibility check" message
in the save dialog, and a button that opens a seperate
compatibility report. This is largely useless... but
perhaps OOo and Abiword can take this idea and improve
it.