[Usability] Indicating required fields

On 17 Sep, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
Now that I think about it, what possible reason does Evolution have to
accept a message for sending if the subject is not there?

The principle of least annoyance? :-)

(Netscape 4 for Mac handled this rather cutely: clicking the Send button with an empty Subject line focused the Subject field, with "No subject was specified" pre-selected for overwriting. If you clicked Send a second time the message would be sent, since the Subject field was no longer empty. But at least you'd been notified of the missing subject, without having to deal with a confirmation alert.)

"Send" should be disabled until the message is ready for sending, and
unless it has a subject line, I wouldn't consider it ready. The fact
that it's the subject that is missing can be hinted visually (with
accessibility options in mind of course).

"Visually" how? I'd love ideas on this, as showing which fields in a form are required and which are optional is a general problem, especially in database-y applications (I encountered it in a Point-of-Sale app last week). Web applications usually put a star next to the label of compulsory fields, but that doesn't meet the standards of elegance expected from locally-installed software ("Subject:*" would look silly), and it doesn't work for fields that don't have labels to themselves (such as the port number for a single-protocol proxy server).

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/