Re: [Usability] Recursively changing owner and permission?

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:13:02 +0200
> From: Maurizio Colucci <maurizio colucci gmail com>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Recursively changing owner and permission?
>
> Hello,
>
> Does Gnome provide a way to recursively set the permission and owner
> of a folder and its subfolders? I want to install ubuntu to my
> cousin's PC, but I don't want him to see me open a terminal and use
> chown/chmod. He would not accept to have to do this. Thanks for any
> info.

I believe their is an extension available to add this functionality to
Nautilus (the file manager).  I do not recall what the name of this
extension was but with the help of google you may be able to dig it up.
The Nautilus developers have not yet decided on how best to implement it
and are working on a solution, I believe they are working on it and there
is a bug report tracking the issue which you could probably find in
bugzilla.gnome.org.

For future reference this list is not intended for general help questions
like does a feature exist but rather how can we improve the usability of
Gnome by adding such a feature or improving the existing implementation.
Your question would have been better addressed to the Nautilus developers,
your distributor (Ubuntu), or possibly your local Linux user group
(I forget which gnome list is for general questions, if I need help I tend
to go straight to the developers of a particular application).

Hopefully others can fill in any details I may have left out.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com