Re: [Usability] Negating checkbox labels

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:31:59 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>, Dominique Würtz <housirer gmx de>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Negating checkbox labels
>

> --- Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> >
> > We already have such a guideline.
> >
> > > "Avoid using negating labels for checkboxes."
> > >
> > > which would lead to ==> [X] Show splash screen on
> > startup (and invert
> > > the default check state)
>
> I don't see it on the page about checkboxes

There is general advice elsewhere about using positive labels (Show rather
than Hide, other things like that).  If I recall correctly it is
relatively early in the guidelines.

> If it's mentioned elsewhere in the HIG, could it also
> be mentioned in this section?

Probably but the maintainers might not want to repeat things too much and
instead try and find other ways to present the information so please do
file a request in bugzilla against the HIG and ask the maintainers.

Calum might be able to answer directly on Tuesday (local bank holiday
this Monday) but I do not know what the HIG maintainers might want.

- Alan