[Usability] icon missing warning is really annoying

Before I go tracking down which peice of Gnome this problem is really
about and filing bug reports I was hoping I could get some feedback here
first.

If you upgrade your distribution and icons you were using previously are
no longer available Gnome (at least Gnome 2.10 and many previous versions)
will warn you seperately for each missing icon.  This results in several
seperate warnings all telling me pretty much the same thing.  What is even
more annoying is that it will continue to warn you each and every time you
login until you pick a new icon for the launchers/shortcuts.

Perhaps I should be blaming distributions for not keeping bigger sets of
icons around.  Perhaps I should give up and keep a copy of the icons I
want to use in my homedirectory.  (And while I'm at it what is with
Mozilla using a big M for an Icon?  Using text as an icon is goofy,
pointless, and obviously wrong.)  I am however thankful for the generic
green apple, red apple, icons still included in Gnome which at least gives
me some spare generic icons I can work with.

I guess what I'd like for Gnome to do would be to display the stock
missing icon image instead of that old foot icon from Gnome 1.4 and the
abscence of an icon should be obvious enough and not require a warning,
and certainly not require

Strangely I've ended up with a configuration which doesn't include an
icon for the show desktop applet and the applet doesn't include a way to
configure the icon like the way normal shortcuts do (I guess I could call
it an annoying inconsistency that the panel objects are not more alike).

Unhappy Ubunut* (formerly miserble Mandrake)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com