[Usability] The filechooser

Are there any documents or guides on how the (not so) new filechooser
widget is supposed to work? I have read an awful lot of good & bad things
about it in newsgroups and mailing lists, but sadly most of what I've read
has been quite uninformative about how it actually is supposed to be used.

More specifically I'd like to know:

* How to use it without the mouse in an efficient way
* How to enter hidden folders (without CTRL-L if possible)
* How to show hidden files & folders

Up until now I have mostly tried to avoid using it at all, but since that's
nearly impossible I think I'm better off learning how to use it instead.
Actually I *do* think it's better than the old one in most regards so
please don't interpret this as an "I want the old one back!".
--
Pelle