Re: [Usability] Hiding options from users?

2005/10/12, Sven Jaborek <sven lug-dorsten gmx de>:
> Hi list,
>
> what usability philosphie is this?
>
> The file-open dialog shows a text-field by pressing ctrl-l, without a
> button or menu that would make it possible to open it if you dont know.
> Since lots of people, like me, will miss the text-box when they see the
> new dialog, it should not such a secret.

One point is at least that it duplicates of functionality and removing
it reduces screen clutter. Another point is the type-ahead search in
the file view that has the same effect that a textbox would have (it
should be easier to find by accident since the view is focused by
default, and if you try to type to the non-existing entry, it will
start the search).

It won't be as good for deep hierarchies as autocompletion for folders, but

1) that can be avoided most of the time by being organized
2) the feature itself can be considered somewhat advanced, and thus be
left for those who have the interest in finding more efficient ways to
work (ie. learning about the ctrl-L)
3) Ctrl-L works already in many many gnome apps as a synonyme for
"location" (epiphany, gedit, devhelp, nautilus, just to name a few at
hand) so the dialog is not the only place you can learn the binding
from. Heck, it's probably even DOCUMENTED somewhere!

> I searched for a way in evolution to mark all messages read without
> ctrl-a, i thought there must be a menu item "mark all", but it isn't
> there.

Have you tried the context menu? Although I do agree that select all
should be in the "Edit" menu, as it is a standard action.

You probably should file a bug about it, if there isn't one already or
if it isn't left yout by desing.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi