Re: [Usability] Configuration Applications

2005/10/5, Julien Olivier <julo altern org>:
> (snip)
>
> > Appearance' app? Also, mouse, keyboard and screen resolution could be
> > grouped in 'X11 Configuration' or 'Display Configuration'.
>
> Sorry for snipping all the rest, but I'd just like to reply to this
> point. I don't think it's a good idea to group mouse, keyboard and
> screen resolution configuration, especially if the group is then called
> "display configuration" or, worse, "X11 configuration". Most users don't
> have the slightest idea that, in the UNIX-like world, keyboards and mice
> are managed by the same component that also controls the screen. So, if
> I agree that keyboard and mouse *could* be put together, I don't see any
> reason (other than a technical reason) why they would be in the same
> configuration applet as the screen resolution.

Indeed. My daughter calls my monitor "tiakone" (approximate
translation is "coputer"), but even she knows it doesn't include the
mouse or the keyboar (although implies that it does inlude everything
else).

For the other gripes, I think the settings capplet reworking has been
undergoing for some time now (at least the talking of it), but can't
find any status page or similar for it...

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi