Re: [Usability] About virtual folders

Eric Larson wrote:
On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 18:37 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

Maurizio Colucci wrote:

Hello,

I haven't read any discussion, or concrete plan, about virtual folders
a-la Vista. Or labels a-la gmail. Do you like the feature?

Yes I am working on this :

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker

which if/when integrated in Nautilus or Gnome-VFS will give you VFolder ability as well as metadata/indexing/thumbnailing on the fly. Tracker is intended to be a replacement for the defunct Medusa (which was supposed to give Nautilus vfolder capability).

It might be worthwhile to consider using beagle.

By all means. I wrote the freedesktop spec for file metadata(1) to encourage both Kat and Beagle to adopt it too. (you really dont wanna have two indexers running at the same time!)

The main technical hitch for Beagle is Lucene's single table DB which is not scalable for storing hundreds of different metadata (the more indexes on a table the slower it becomes to insert stuff and it will increase memory consumption dramatically too if lucene keeps its indexes in RAM). As a result, I urge Beagle to use Sqlite to store their metadata for searching using multiple tables to avoid the "too many indexes on a table" problem (though they turned down my suggestion to do this a while ago).

THe following table structure for sqlite can store an infinite amount of metadata per file whilst only needing 4 indexes (two are primary keys) for fast searches:

Create Table Files (
FileID integer not null,
FilePath varchar not null,
FileName varchar not null,
Primary Key (FileID)
);

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX  IndexFiles ON Files (FilePath, FileName);

CREATE TABLE FileMetaData (
FileID INTEGER Not NULL,
MetaDataID INTEGER Not NULL,
MetaDataValue Varchar Not Null,
Primary Key (FileID,MetaDataID)
);

CREATE INDEX IndexFileMetaData ON FileMetaData (MetaDataID, FileID);

Please encourage Beagle to consider this. Tracker's emphasis is on being a replacement for Medusa rather than Beagle as such and for providing a memory efficient non-bloated search engine/metadata framework for systems unable to run mono/beagle (think desktops with only 256MM RAM or less or embedded platforms like Maemo) and for those unwilling politically/legally to use mono.

(1) http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/shared-filemetadata-spec

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/