Re: [Usability] Button Layout in Dialogs, vertical button bar on the right?

A couple of things I should have mentioned ...

Matthew Thomas wrote:

Alan Horkan wrote:
I have long wondered if user interface designs get flipped around to
accomodate the writing direction of the local culture.  My suspicion is
that this doesn't happen and that there is not much infrastructure in
place to make it easy to do this kind of systematic rearraranging.

In what appears to be descending order of quality:
<http://flaminggeeks.com/k/blog/images/ar98.gif>
<http://www.aymanh.com/images/firefox10ar-win-02.jpg>
<http://www.arabeyes.org/images/screenshots/katoob/katoob-ar.png>

(As you can see from the Firefox screenshot, sometimes you need to reverse the icons, not just the layout.)

The layout with buttons on the right hand side seems to make better use of the available screen width.

That's true, but the usual horizontal arrangement makes better use of
screen *space*. Because buttons are shorter than they are wide, the
unused space in a column of buttons is more than the unused space in a
row of buttons.

Sorry, I should have said "Because buttons are wider than they are high..."

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/