Re: [Usability] Re: Deep thoughts and proposal on the awful trashcan/eject issue (long)

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 10:54 -0700, Nathan Howell wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:56:59 -0400, Jason Hoover wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > All Comments/Productive Criticism/Amusing Flames are welcome.
>
> Ok, I'll throw in a quick suggestion or two.
>
> 1. Make good use of the shiny new improved drive mount applet. Works very
> well for me.

Not so much so for me. It takes up way too much panel real-estate if you
have two cd-roms, a floppy, and a removable USB stick drive.

It's kind of funny, with the way nautilus/distros auto mount things, I
have a hard time seeing why such an applet even exists. Though, I'm sure
someone's found a use for it.

> 2. Have an eject panel applet. Have it usable two ways: dragging a volume
> to the applet unmounts/ejects it, or clicking the applet gives a list of
> mounted volumes that can be ejected/unmounted.

Hmm, now this is something. It'd:
    -Take less much screen real-estate the eject applet takes.
    -Present a VERY clear, obvious place for the user to go to get their
beloved CD back.
    -Allow the user to keep half of their intuition. (D&D)

There's a few trade-offs to it though:
    -It's yet another applet that must be loaded and stay running.
    -It still takes up panel space. (Granted, much, much less)
    -It still doesn't address my main concern.

My main concern being that nautilus goes so out of it's way to tell the
user they're doing something wrong and that they must never do it again
and sit in the corner, instead of obediently submitting to it's master's
evil, ignorant, heretical ways.

Remember, when you execute [DON'T DO IT] "rm -rf /" it understands
exactly what you mean and does exactly what you tell it to, even though
it's stupid too.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea though, it sounds much cleaner than
cramming it into the actions menu. Very nice, actually.

--
Jason Hoover <jasonhoover verizon net>