Re: [Usability] User centered redesign of desktop preferences

Sorry for the late response. I've been a bit busy lately moving back
to my parents after successfully completing university. I would like
it if addressed me with master from now on :).

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:14:33 +0100 (CET), Reinout van Schouwen
<reinouts gnome org> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Maarten wrote:
>
> >> Should this also contain for instance the sound-juicer sound profile?
> >
> > Well it could.
>
> Nice, I'm curious about new mockups!
In tha works :) , and looking for some competition on that front. Yes
this is a challenge to do better

> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/introduction.html
>
> Could you give a short explanation of what this does? That page does't
> make things very clear to me.

The link was an example of a dedicated user community, in this case
revolving around creating music. It would be really nice if they could
record desktop wide settings and package this like other music related
programs on their site. Maybe, Sabayon could fit into this. In this
way music artist can work together to create the ultimate music artist
desktop. Not every artist should have to do this again and again for
themselves. I don't have a very good view of how a music artist
desktop would look, this would be best left to music artist I guess,
but surely a music artist desktop should look and behave different
from the desktop of a 16 year old school girl (example).

> > Yes I should shouldn't I :). I guess I will now :)
>
> Good boy. ;-)
Good boy, master    for you that is. This could be come confusing
rather quickly :)

Ahhem, Woof :)
> > place. The added benefit would be that not every file sharing capability
> > ifolder, smb, nfs gets it's own control center menu item. I would
> > consider that a bit of a disaster really.
>
> Agreed. If you finish this, perhaps post it to bugzilla too so it won't
> be forgotten.

Ok, will do.

> > Example. I don't think you should lock-in smtp settings to evolution
> > because there could be more programs that want to make use of mail
> > sending capabilities.
>
> Agree completely - but currently Evolution is still quite monolithic,
> unfortunately. I hope the Novell people will agree to move these prefs
> out of Evo.

by god yes :)