Re: [Usability] Tabs

Am Montag, den 27.06.2005, 14:45 +0100 schrieb Alan Horkan:

> It is important to try and understand the
> problems users think a Tabbed interface will solve and treat the problem
> not the symptoms.

I think you are right. I do not really "love" tabs, allthough I thin
they are really helpful.

I think important is something like if somebody closes a window and
there are many tabs open, that the application asks if the user really
wants to close all tabs.

The tabs are really different in every application. In the web the
problem often is that the structure is not that good or that using the
back-button is very slow in comparison of having for example (a typical
usage for me): 7 news articles open from one news site that I can close
when I have read them.

The question could also be at a browser level what tabs in one window do
have in common. Is it possible to open a new tab explicitly with a web
page? Javascript? I think a website could also organize content in tabs.
it could have the TOC at the first tab and so on.

But I don't what to concentrate on browsers, because that probably would
be better discussed in the epiphany list.

But one has to ask what tabs mean to a user. I think adding effects to a
tab can help very much using them. for instance if  a tab changes colour
if page is loaded or is changing content.

It wouild also be possible if one could mix tabs: so gedit could have a
terminal an a browser tab. I think this might be interesting (embedding
applications) like it is know with mozplugger or with some file types in
Epiphany. This reminds me on the time where Apple experimented with
OpenDoc ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc) anybody else has seen
this? ;-)

thilo

--
Dieser Inhalt ist unter einer Creative Commons-Lizenz lizenziert:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/de/