Re: Screenshot dialog not needed? (Was: Re: [Usability] screenshot & recording desktop video)

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 21:31 +0200, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> Why do we need that dialog there btw? Can't we just save the screen shot
> on the desktop and get rid of the dialog completely?

Visual feedback good. Magic bad. OS X does make a sound, but I can't
hear it when I am cranking my favorite music. What if I'm not the kind
of person that uses the desktop as "home"? What if I forgot where it
goes? What if I am new to GNOME? What if I am experienced with GNOME,
but this is the first screen shot I have ever taken? What if I
accidentally hit the key?

I think that having to press return is a small price to pay for the
comfort/confidence given to most users. Perhaps you could talk some
developer into a setting in GConf? (hmmm. But then how would one revert
to "default" for video capture?)

I would go a little further and have a nautilus folder open up after the
image was created. I don't think I am reaching when I say that normally
one would want to do something with the new screenshot. For bonus
points, there would be an easy way for me to make this not happen in the
case when one is creating many screenshots, and I don't want nautilus
harassing me with "pop-ups". A checkbox would fit nicely under "more
options" in Calum's mock-up:

> http://www.iol.ie/~calum/screencap-basic.png
> http://www.iol.ie/~calum/screencap-advanced.png

but not so nice in the original poster's:

--
Karim Nassar <karim nassar acm org>