Re: [Usability] Modifiers + Scroll => Zoom, which modifiers to use?

On Mo, 2005-05-30 at 23:22 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Bug 79352 [1] suggested that "shift-mousewheel could zoom in / out on
> nautilus views", which sounded like a good idea.

As of Epi 1.7.1, the following behavior is now implemented:

Ctrl  + Wheel: Zoom
Shift + Wheel: Nothing currently, Mozilla may use this for horizontal
               scroll later, thus reserved in advance.
Alt   + Wheel: No associated action
Meta  + Wheel: No associated action

In releases before 1.7.1 the Control key was associated with pagewise
scrolling. The question is

- whether we want this feature back and
- which key should be reserved for that

to make it consistent over the desktop.

My personal opinion is that the feature does not only accelerate
scrolling, it is also really useful for people (like me) who easily get
the widespread "carpal tunnel syndrome", which is often caused by using
the scroll wheel. (Sorry, I haven't found an English language source to
backup that claim, but this German language site confirms that the
scrollbar is often the cause:
http://www.bva.bund.de/aufgaben/win/beitraege/00143/
)

Any thoughts?