Re: [Usability] RFC: removing some colors from the panel...

Le samedi 04 juin 2005 à 20:50 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> Hi Alan,
>
> Le samedi 04 juin 2005 à 19:31 +0100, Alan Horkan a écrit :
> > On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > > During GUADEC, one idea came to my mind. I have a lot of
> > > applets/launchers on my top panel and they all have nice colors.
> >
> > Perhaps one of the Low Contrast themes might be enough?
>
> Well, I don't want to have Low Contrast everywhere, and particularly not
> in my current window. Colors are also useful.

I agree.
What Vincent says sound like such a good idea! and this should be out
from themes.

> > > However, the panel is too distracting: when I work on a document, I
> > > often look at the applets instead of concentrating on the document.
> >
> > Have you tried using a panel with Auto-hide enabled, or use a panel the
> > with Hide Arrows enabled?
>
> Yes. I have one auto-hide panel, but I only use it for my window list. I
> don't like having launchers on it. I once tried to enable auto-hide for
> my top panel, but I couldn't stand it :-)

The panel is important, you have the clock, weather... all kind of stuff
you don't want to move your mouse to see it.

> > > What do you think about moving all the panel contents to grayscale when
> > > the panel is not in use?

This would improve the usability so much!

> > I used to use Autohide on my Panel but I found the animation too
> > distracting and having the panel obscured made it harder to get at when I
> > did want it.  I expect I would feel similarly about having it greyed out,
> > but I couldn't say for sure.
>
> (note that you can remove the animation, by editing some obscure gconf
> keys)

(And also the black and white applets instead of colorized)