Re: [Usability] The Desktop: useful or just a relic?

Removed CC's.

Please try and avoid crossposting.
Please choose one list at time and stick with it.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Thom Holwerda wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:57:11 +0200
> From: Thom Holwerda <slakje quicknet nl>
> To: Desktop Devel <desktop-devel-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] The Desktop: useful or just a relic?

> > Imagine drag and drop: minimize application, open folder, open
> > folder, open application, move application to the left, move folder
> > to the right, drag file into application, close folder, close
> > folder. Silly.
> >

> What are you trying to say with this paragraph?
>
> > What about a different to store data? What about a
> > "sidebar" (instinct anti-longhorn reaction expected) with all
> > folders in the home directory? Plus, maybe, some "persistent
> > search" folders (All images, all music-files by Jethro Tull,
> > conversations with ALICE...).
>
> So, what you mean is: instead of putting icons *directly* on the
> desktop, we simply make a piece of the desktop grey and put the icons
> on that? :).

There have been various suggestions and even a few implementations of the
concept of a "Shelf" to keep certain more important documents close to the
front, a search through the mailing list archives should turn up some of
these suggestions.

If you were determined to stretch the metaphor and make real world
comparison even the Panel as it is now could be condisered as a shelf.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com