Re: [Usability] The Desktop: useful or just a relic?

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Bosshard Raphael (bosshrap) wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:45:11 +0200
> From: "Bosshard Raphael (bosshrap)" <bosshrap zhwin ch>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] The Desktop: useful or just a relic?
>
> Topaz thoughts..
>
> Again a silly questions to the gods of usefull interfaces;
>
>   Is the desktop useful (or is it just a relic from ancient times?)

Yes.  :)

> Most people I know use the desktop (the thing in the background where
> all these funny icons are) to store data. They create folders with names
> like "Music" and "Private" and "None of you business" and put stuff into
> them.

> But whenever they want to access them, they use the file-picker, because
> the application they are using is concealing those nice folders. The
> desktop is the least accessible place on the screen.

Long ago I learned the habit of opening the application and then opening
the document because if there is more than one text editor or graphics
program on your computer there it is the best way to be sure the document
opens in the correct program.

When it comes to getting the application window out of the way, the show
desktop button (panel applet) is invaluable.  (Big thank you to Havoc
Pennington.)

The abstract metaphor of the desktop is a fairly comfortable and
memorable way to get started and works well if you are an infrequent
user.

You might be interested to try out Matchbox, which instead of providing a
desktop shows you the contents of the main menu.  It is designed for
handheld devices but it can be used on a desktop.  (I built it using
Garnome and I believe prebuilt Debian packages are available.)
http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/

> Imagine drag and drop: minimize application, open folder, open folder,
> open application, move application to the left, move folder to the
> right, drag file into application, close folder, close folder. Silly.

When you are doing it every day this can be inefficient and a more
task specific user interface might be useful but it is worth remembering
that many users are only infrequent users and have to relearn things
almost every time they go to the computer.

For a long time I have wanted applications to improve their Recent Files
list and have it overflow into a History list which should massively
reduce the frequent use of the File Chooser.

> What about a different to store data? What about a "sidebar" (instinct
> anti-longhorn reaction expected) with all folders in the home directory?
> Plus, maybe, some "persistent search" folders (All images, all
> music-files by Jethro Tull, conversations with ALICE...).

Have you tried Beagle?  The functionality it provides might be to your
liking, although it does not attempt to do away with the desktop.

> I guess there are better ways then the one example above. Do you have
> any ideas?

I've been very tempted to ditch my desktop entirely and use a setup like
Matchbox has instead, but ideally I'd like to have the same kind of
functionality without needing to stop using Metacity.  (The mess of
unordered files will simply be moved from Desktop to Home or Documents or
some other simliar dumping ground).

If I ever get around to making my own Gnome based Live CD distribution
where the desktop cannot be changed I will definately replace use of the
desktop with a display of the available applications.

Nat Friedman recently wrote in his journal about the desktop mockups for
the SymphoneyOS Desktop which is quite a different kind of desktop
http://nat.org/2005/may/#New-Linux-desktop-software
http://www.symphonyos.com/desktop.html
(my immediate reaction was revulsion but on closer inspection it might
include some worthwhile ideas)

If you haven't looked at it before then you might be interested by Sun
Microsystems Project Looking Glass
http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

There are many experimental concepts that attempt to provide something
radically different and others are more evolutionary than revolutionary
but I wont attempt to provide a long list of them, the sourceforge and
freshmeat websites are as good a place to look as any.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com