Re: [Usability] The ``Replace File'' dialog should display the two file sizes, times, etc.

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 15:03 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> On 7/29/05, Jason Day <jason s day gmail com> wrote:
> > Well, I decided to have a go at it:
>
> I had a go too:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/philbull_tk/gnome_dlg_mockup.png
>
> The text is a bit confusing/ambiguous and the dialog is pretty big.
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil

I think that looks a bit better than the others we have seen... good
job! With that said, there only needs to be an overwrite button since
non-checked items would not be overwritten. The other thing that
concerns me is in the situation where there are large number of
overwrites. If the dialog only shows 3 and the third or fourth file is
not slightly visible, the user has to depend on a scroll bar to see that
there are more files that will potentially be overwritten. I am making
the assumption here that the default would be the files would be checked
for overwriting by default. If this is switched (not checked) the same
issue occurs. The user may not overwrite the file that they wanted to
overwrite. I hope this makes _some_ sense. Off hand an interface like
this might be better suited for copying files to/from a remote source
rather than a general overwriting dialog. Just brainstorming here...

Best,
Eric