[Usability] Re: Workspaces

> One main problem that I have is that I love to know where my
> applications are. If I am on Workspace 2 and I start an application I'd
> like to have it end starting up in the same desktop, even if I switch to
> another (because I like to use the time). I therefore would like to see
> applications beeing on the same workspaces.

Extending the spatial metaphor to the workspace. I like that and I definitely agree.

> I would expect workspaces to
> be organizable. I would like them to be pretty tabs - maybe in the upper
> right corner. And they should have different colors and names. Every app
> that is started should be on a workspace where it is useful. So you can
> have a workspace where you do mail or where you browse the web. The
> problem with this concept could be that some windows should be on the
> same workspace. But that could also be managed somehow.

Well if workspaces are spatial, you could do something like this or just about
anything like that. I don't think it needs to be a default.

> I would like to see GNOME should behave like it actively supports the
> user. i mean that I would like a real straight way from starting the
> computer to read or write an email. Maybe we can extend GDM so that not
> only the language and the sessions are selectable but also the
> applications or workspaces.

That sounds a bit much. A solution around this would be to create different user
accounts with different startup applications.

> If I am talking about workspaces I also want to emphasize
> that his workspaces should be considered more virtual. So I think behind
> all that there would be the need to manage applications differently. We
> should look from the users point of view.
>
> The user wants:
>
> * to view a movie
> * do mail
> * view and/or edit his photo collection.
>
> Right now we give him applications and icons to do this. But we do not
> guide him. The user should say, what he wants to do and than GNOME
> changes its look to be ideal for that task.

This sounds more and more like you're saying GNOME should default to a kiosk mode
or turning the computer into an appliance. I'm not too keen on that. There are an
infinite number of things that a user can do with their computer. Users like
doing things, but they also like doing _lots_ of things and multitasking.

David