[Usability] When does a click occur?

Is there any standard definition of when a right-mouse-button click is
said to have occurred? On a related note, are popup menus meant to have
a default highlighted option activated on releasing the right mouse
button?

I ask because I've noticed some annoying differences in behaviour
between applications, leading to very timid use of the right mouse
button!

In the HIG Popup Menu section, it says "A popup menu is shown when the
user right-clicks on an object". Some apps popup the menu when the
button is pressed down, some when the button is released. The confusion
arises when you're expecting activation on release, but a menu option
has already been highlighted by the press action. When switching between
applications, I frequently mistakenly activate the first popup menu
option because of a simple right-button press and release.

Is this something which should be addressed in the HIG, or is it
solvable at the toolkit level?

Personally I'd recommend:
a. Popup menus are away from the mouse, so no items become highlighted
automatically.
b. Menus appear on the button down event
c. Releasing the mouse button over a highlighted menu item activates the
item.

Just having (a) consistently implemented would eliminate much of the
annoyance, but I think (b) and (c) are good standards to formalise.

Has anyone done any usability testing in this area? I suspect novice
users confronted with automatic activation on right-click-and-release
would be unsettled by the rapid appearance and disappearance of a menu
and immediately ask "What happened? What did I just do?"

-Kevin