Re: [Usability] Recommended HIG providing additional info/help

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 15:18 +0100, Age Bosma wrote:

Hi,

First of all, I feel that I need to make myself clear about telling you that I'm no linux user. Therefor I'm not able to "know" linux stuff you guys might assume to be known to any linux user. I am however a big opensource fan if that's making you feel a bit better about me again for not using linux ;-) The reason I'm contacting you to discuss some matter is because I think it realy good that the HIG is being created. It not only usefull for just linux programmers but for programmers in general.

The GNOME HIG is not for Linux programmers, it's for GNOME programmers -
GNOME runs on Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, Mac OS X, BSD, and even Windows.
The HIG is *not* generally applicable because it describes the GNOME
user interface guidelines, not general purpose interface guidelines.  An
application written for Windows should *not* follow the GNOME HIG, but
instead should follow Microsoft's guidelines (which do exist, but most
Windows programmers don't know about them).

I know that this is the case but that doesn't make the GNOME HIG less usable for more people than just GNOME users, does it? ;-) The HIG is good and it probably has a lot in common with other interface guidelines. In the end the main goal is consistency in the UI.

I was going through the HIG and found that the matter I spoke of wasn't addressed (yet). If you don't consider the fact that I should have a look into other guidelines for a moment, would it be a good suggestion to add this in the GNOME HIG? I tried to address this more like a suggestion and discussion subject than an actual problem I'm stuck with.

I hope this matter isn't going to be considered a no-discuss subject simply because I might not be seeing it back into GNOME myself ;-) I'm just trying to help out a bit by addressing something I found interesting to discuss. It might improve the GNOME HIG in the end, I had my discussion and you have a better HIG, everybody happy ;-)

Prodoc