Re: [Usability] Mistake in the HIG?

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Steven Garrity wrote:

> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:38:39 -0400
> From: Steven Garrity <stevelist silverorange com>
> To: david sipsolutions net
> Cc: Gnome Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Mistake in the HIG?
>
> David Christian Berg wrote:
> > Inkscape, the only software I know to use these three buttons uses
> >
> > Close without saving
> >       ^
> >
> > Guess that'd work out better ;)
>
> GEdit has three buttons, but the first reads:
>
> "Don't save"
>     ^
>
> It would be nice if we could nail this down. I presume the wording
> (Close without saving) from the HIG is preferred, but not the access key
> letters?

I brought this up (in my usual round about way) before Christmas
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2004-December/msg00082.html

My suggestion was that we need a GTK_STOCK_DISCARD
so that even if we cannot agree on the label that it will only need to be
changed in one place.

Seth Nickell suggested to go one further and create a standard
GtkSaveConfirmationAlert which would make things easier and give
developers more of an incentive to use it.

I still think a single terse label of Discard is the way to go.  There is
no clearly better alternative, the experiments at creating better labels
have failed and led us too the current confusing inconsistant lables and
it would be better to use it everwhere consistantly (KDE uses Discard
too).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org