Re: [Usability] User centered redesign of desktop preferences

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Maarten wrote:

Hmm it does seem a bit much. You could divide the applet in the
following pieces:
-User pictures. (Different representations of you)
-Profiles  (Desktop customizations fitting user identity)

Should this also contain for instance the sound-juicer sound profile?

-Location. (regional specific settings)
-Communication (email/aim settings).

Sounds reasonable. For this to work, I would add "levels of disclosure" like Orkut has, so you can specify that your e-mail address is visible to the public but your IM only to friends and your postal address to relatives. No, I don't know how this should be implemented in practice.

This is how the computer dialog looks on my desktop (garnome 2.9.90):
http://home.wanadoo.nl/sbm/pictures/Computer.png

<translator hat>
Shouldn't you be testing the Dutch translation? :-s
</translator hat>

The contents has no relation to the concept "computer" from the users point of view.

computer with the outside available here. It is more like the network
folder only then mixed with services available to the whole system. Or

OK, I see where you're coming from.
Would the 'Outside' folder (this should be renamed to something better) also replace the Network servers location in Nautilus, so that we get something like a Network Neighbourhood on steroids?

This is indeed a bit inconsistent. Only somehow I am not able to make screenshots of menus, making discussion on this stuff a bit difficult.

Tip of the day: Use gnome-panel-screenshot --delay.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778