Re: [Usability] Find bar variants

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Shaun McCance wrote:

> > Yelp has a much larger problem to fix.
> >
> > I wouldn't normally be so critical of Yelp but with the discovery of
> > GnoCHM (terrible name but useful software) I am extremely tempted to
> > convert a load of Help files into CHM format so that they will be easily
> > searchable.
> > http://gnochm.sourceforge.net/

> And these "waaaaah, yelp needs full text search" rants on mailing lists
> are getting tiresome.  I know it does, you know it does, and everybody
> else knows it does.  People need to put their money where their mouth
> is.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've complained publically about
the lack of searchable help and my complaint was pretty tame to be called
a rant.  If I were ranting it would be a lot worse.  I'd be sure complain
about how many different incompatable competing help systems and how many
different redundant browser technologies there are on an average desktop
(nice to see yelp will be using Gecko in future though) amongs other
many other things.

If I thought I had the necessary programming ability to do something about
it I might try but I really dont.

> By royal decree, I hereby forbid anybody from ever speaking about full
> text search in Yelp again, unless the conversation begins with "I have
> a patch to implement full text search in Yelp."

I dont believe in royalty, and search decrees are not going to stop
complaints happening again every so often.  By getting all offended you
look at least as bad as I do for complaining if not worse.

If you had calmy pointed me to a bug report and simply said they were
getting to it, that would have been a sensible way to end any complaints
aobut the lack of full text search.

Now that I have the option I look into using the bastard CHM standard from
Microsoft instead.  It is unlikely that I'll complain about Yelp again.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Inkscape, Draw Freely  http://inkscape.org