Re: [Usability] Issues and suggestions about files preview

On 12/23/05, Eric Larson <elarson novell com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 16:33 +0800, Jie Zhang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using GNOME for daily use, both for work and at home. I want to
> > tell my feels about files preview in current GNOME.
> >
> > I never enable "Text Files" preview. It's useless since you cannot
> > easily figure out what this file is from the few characters shown in
> > the preview icon.
>
> This is just FYI...
>
> A friend of mine specifically just zooms the icons after browsing to a
> folder to see a "preview" of text files. I have never really used this
> but it did make sense. Hope that helps a little ;)

Zoom can bring more characters into the preview. But even zoom to 200%
does not help much, since still only a small part of the file is
shown. I usually identify a text file from it's name, not it's
preview. So I think it's a feature not worth for a standalone option
on the Preview tab. However, identifying a picture or video from its
thumbnail is very convenient. So I suggest make picture and video
preview a standalone option instead. This will make File Preview more
usable.

Regards,
Jie