Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME (Summit mockups)

I dont know why you added back the crossposting but just this once I'll
leave it.

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Michael Sweet wrote:

> Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:45:04 -0500
> From: Michael Sweet <mike easysw com>
> To: Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> Cc: usability gnome org, cworth cworth org,
>      Alex Graveley <alex beatniksoftware com>,
>      Desktop Architects <desktop_architects lists osdl org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and
>     GNOME (Summit mockups)
>
> Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> >> I'm not sure how that would look - the arrow might
> >> look out of
> >> place or misaligned.
> >
> > You have:
> >> Heading: Summary
> >> Longer heading: Summary
> >
> > What I meant was this:
> >> Heading: [tab>] Summary
> >> Longer heading: Summary
> >
> > where the imaginary tab makes all the summaries line
> > up.
>
> Hmm, OK I'll look at how I can best implement that with the FLTK
> prototype.
>
> >> The *GNOME* HIG, yes.  Feel free to put the buttons
> >> in the wrong
> >> order in yours... :)
> >
> > Does the KDE HIG specify button order?
>
> The KDE and FLTK HIGs put the cancel button on the right while Apple's
> HUG puts it on the left.  Microsoft's guidelines are all over the
> place - they show examples with the buttons along the right side of
> the dialog as well as on the bottom - the cancel button is either the
> rightmost or second from the bottom.
>
> FWIW, the FLTK HIG references many of the major HIGs:
>
>      http://www.fltk.org/hig.php

Gtk is a cross platform toolkit so it makes sense to support a variety of
standards.  More recent versions of Gtk (like Gtk 2.6) allow you to
specify alternative button order with a little (extra work).

Presumably Qt has similar functionality to help integrate your application
nicely with both Windows and Mac style button order.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com