[Usability] Re: Usability Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

> > The definition of "panel" is not the problem here. The fact that he
> > > thinks each desktop within the switcher is a seperate entity on the
> > > panel (and thus he should be able to remove only one of them by using
> > > "Remove from panel") is the problem.
> >
> > Oh I see now. In other words, it should be clearer that it's in fact,
> > one solid object instead of four similar looking ones. Hmm, maybe using
> > a darker shade of grey between the panels would fix this? Is there a
> > relevant bug, or would one be unwarranted.
>

> A darker shade of grey would make it even harder to tell the desktops apart
> from eachother than it is now - and it's not easy now, with that 1px wide
> separator.

I don't know, but the version of GNOME shipping with Debian Unstable
(it must be ancient, I'm sure) has a desktop switcher where the panels
are 1 px seperated, and the whole lot is "engraved" into the panel, or
at least that's what it looks like.  See attached image.

I believe the key here, is not telling that the whole lot is one unit,
but allowing them to be considered seperate widgets.  Maybe they
should be set up left-to-right order, also.  So if I move Desktop 2's
little icon to be the right of Desktop 3, the order becomes 1-3-2,
which are the new 1-2-3.  Of course, this may be a waste of time from
a techincal standpoint, but maybe this would allow Vidars' parents'
behaviour (which may or may not be commonplace) actually result in
something.

That said, seperating the multi-desk panel(s) may confuse users
"immigrating" from other systems e.g. IceWM, XFCE, and KDE.  In this
circumstance, it would make it sound like one should be able to move
these "panels" provided they're adjacent, and, allow removing the
whole selecter as well.  [So, "Remove Desktop", and "Remove Workspace
Switcher from Panel" options?]

Just my $(2/4)*(1/100) (that's half a cent, btw ^^)

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents