Re: [Usability] Can the GNOME desktop survive an encounter with my parents?

> No, we're in Nautilus. It is apparent to me now that you use Nautilus
> in spatial mode. Ubuntu now defaults to the old/new Browser mode with
> the Pathbar widget. Turn it on and re-read my initial note.

Ohhh, I've got it now. There could be a few things that go into that
context menu. I can see why a nautilus standard context menu might be
expected there.

> The delay or threshold was never the issue here. The issue is simply
> "You do not get instant feedback, like you do when dragging icons or
> windows." Maybe I should've just said that in the initial e-mail :-)

Ohhh, I see that too now. How silly of me. The same problem exists for
moving applets too. Having the cursor as the only source of feedback for
moving stuff in this case does seem incorrect.

In fact, now that I'm playing with it, if you take something on the top
bar, and try to pull down on it, it'll slide left and right with the
mouse far away from it, but not change until you're close to something
else.

You're right, this is really counter-intuitive. Would an outline for
applets and icon for launchers work? Does someone know of a relevant bug
or have any explanation why?

> A darker shade of grey would make it even harder to tell the desktops
> apart from eachother than it is now - and it's not easy now, with that
> 1px wide separator.

Yeah. That would be worse. Maybe a black outline? I think that's how it
used to be, but I may be mistaken.

> Don't thank me, thank my parents :-D

Okay, thanks Vidars' parents!

-Jason