Re: [Usability] Dissolving Folders

Hi!

I am just a casual reader, and not a gnome programmer.

> Unfortunately, I didn't detail originally the full implications of my
> idea and why I thought of it (as in "What purpose do Dissolving Folders
> Serve?").

I think your idea can make sense in some circumstances, but definitely
cannot make into gnome. And the reason is: one needs to read a
paragraph at least to figure out what "dissolve" would mean. So
the price is too high: you would introduce a menu item for all folders
that is not intuitive enough to make _all_ the users feel comfortable
clicking it.

> folder and the contents of its sub-directories, without the need for
> using a Search Command (therefore, avoiding File Indexing, which on some
> older computers can take forever) and also allowing for the attributes

Yesterday I tried to pick /usr/bin/acroread in a gnome file-open dialog
on a 800 MHz machine.

1st: It really took forever for the list of files to appear. Now this
     is crazy, and I consider it as a bug. For an 800 MHz machine
     with 512 megs of memory to list a directory it shouldn't take
     a half a minute. (And seeing the list growing file-by-file
     slowly, now that's a big surprise! As if I used my old 286...)

2nd: It didn't give me a box where I could type the name in. Now this
     I consider a Bad Thing. Even Windows couldn't make this far to
     force me clicking. I don't know who's idea was it, but I hate it
     for sure.

So I guess there are major general problems with usability considering
the basics alone. I thing the idea of introducing "Dissolve/Resolve"
complicates things, while if the major problems were solved then the
need of "Dissolve/Resolve" would be much less.

Best Regards,
Baldvin Kovacs