[Usability] starting Gnome

Ok, I've installed Gentoo on my hp pavilion ze4500 laptop, probably an operating system way over my head, but none the less it was the only operating system that would install. I was able to get X Windows to run, and. basically, i see three terminals running and an analog clock (which shows the wrong time). I have not gotten into auto boot up but if you can answer how to get things running by them self's that'll be a plus. But the main question i have is how do you get Gnome running from X Windows with a 2.6.11 Linux kernel.
Sincerely,
Kenneth Schepps

Do you Yahoo!?