Re: [Usability] a Nautilus suggestion re path button

Interesting suggestions. Let's do a few comments:

2005/4/18, aigiskos <aigiskos yahoo com>:
> * Possible ways to solve this problem
>
>      1) Put a very visible search function in each
> spatial window, so that you can search for the file or
> directory without having to know where it is exactly.
> Technologies like Medusa or Beagle might be helpful
> here (notwithstanding the political issues involved
> with Beagle).

Agreed. A search function/filter in a spatial file manager could be
useful, but the technology is yet maturing and it's not clear if it
will be included on core desktop.

>      2) Enhance the path button by making it a "map"
> button.  The icon for the button could be a compass
> rose or some other such symbol to show the user "this
> will help you get unlost."  When the user clicks on
> the button, a treeview (or some other more global type
> of view) of the system pops up centered on the
> currently viewed window, with the name of the current
> window somehow emphasized in the "map."  (Perhaps
> bold-faced?) The user can look around the map until
> he/she finds the  place she is looking for and when
> he/she clicks on it, a new spatial window opens up to
> represent the clicked place.

I found this a bit difficult to figure out (some mockups would be
nice), but I think I grasped the idea. However, it seems that the
"treeview" you suggested would take up too much screen space.

One idea: Instead of the path button, we could add the buttons
structure found on the new gtk filechooser (the one that goes above
the filelist): With one button each folder, it's very easy to acess
all the parent folders.

Also it would be handy having that bookmarks sideview integrated to
the main nautilus window, but that probably belongs to another
discussion.

I know that most of the suggestions will be discarded because they
"break the spatial model" and "add clutter to the main window". Take
my comments as a grain of salt.

Cheers

Lucas