Re: [Usability] The eternal fileselector dilemma :)

Hi,
Kalle Vahlman wrote:

Ahh - where does this come from? HIG? Usability studies?

It's my interpetation of how the system is supposed to work. If the
bookmarks don't have the exact location, they probably include the
Ok, I see your reasoning here and I'd say I mostly agree - a decent collection of bookmarks should minimize the amount of scrolling andthe percieved depth of the target. I also hope that you agree on _my_ conclusion that in order to minimize scrolling, you have to maximize the number of subfolders visible at a time. At least try to get above the 5. I do not think that we should worry about having too many files visible at a time though ;)

So it is actually not a dialog with extra options hidden. It is two
dialogs rolled into one.

I'd say it is a dialog that includes a plan B, but that's subjective.
But when you switch to plan B, you ditch the A one. You cannot have it both ways (Well - an example. If you try to rob a bank and have a getaway car waiting, and the cops get suspicious and check out the guy while you are stuffing cash into a backpack, you will use the emergency exit. You do not care about the car anymore. I know these kinds of examples are dangerous, but it does illustrate my point)

It would fail on the consistency front, and I do agree with those who
say that consistency is a virtue. However, your suggeestion is not
that bad otherwise.
Ok. Despite disagreements on several fronts, everyone who has voiced opinion in this thread has agreed, that things could be done better. Which sounds like a plan, but as I mentioned earlier, I am unaware how to continue (other than going on in this list forever). There is momentum for redesigning the chooser and I am willing to do the dirty work of collecting opinions, analyzing and formatting them and presenting the results. If there is a point that is.

Basicly, the difference is (according to my understanding) that a tree
ties sequental objects to a parent-child relation and spatial model
does not. So in spatial, there cannot be an "up" button, since there's
no defined "up" to go to. In spatial the object is located by its
attributes and such.

I will do some reading and we will coninue this some time in another thread?

The best,

L.