Re: [Usability] media player button recommendations

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Colin Walters wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:49:54 -0400
> From: Colin Walters <walters verbum org>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] media player button recommendations
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering about this new recommendation in the HIG 2.0:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/diff-from-1.0/toolbars.html#toolbars-media
>
> A lot of the HIG has explanation and justification throughout, but this
> section is lacking that a bit.  I don't think the recommendation is bad,
> but I'd just like a bit of insight into the thoughts behind it.

This was discussed last week, see this post in the mailing list archives
for more discussion

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2004-September/msg00093.html

before being discussed on this list it was also discussed on Footnotes
http://gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1959&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1

It not considered to be a good idea to overload a button with
two different bits of functionality, or to have widgets change their
function (or move or hide).

Some people do not see that the play and pause buttons need to be
seperate but some do and the guidelines recommend the solution that is
potentially less confusing.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/