Re: [Usability] Some Proposals for GNOME 3.0 AND BEYOND

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 00:33 -0700, Mitch Malcolm wrote:
> 2.)
> Gnome Panel to continue at its current default location i.e. right at
> the top but now with Clock applet situated at the top extreme left
> hand corner, then the Weather report applet next to it, followed by
> the Volume Control applet and then perhaps 2 tab spaces before we come
> to "Commonly Used/Recommended Apps" i.e. the best GNOME/Gtk/OSS has to
> offer e.g. Epiphany, Evolution Email/Groupware Suite, Gaim, XChat-
> Gnome, Pan, Gwget2, Beep Media Player, Totem, GThumb, Gedit, GNOME
> Terminal, Goats and Force Quit, all of which are logically grouped in
> this section of the panel for easy access by the desktop user.

This would almost totally destroy the applicability of Fitts' Law to the
GNOME menu.  By virtue of its corner placement, the menu can be easily
targeted because it is nigh impossible to overshoot the corner of the
screen, giving it "infinite depth".

Daniel J. Wilson
http://blog.wilsonet.com