Re: [Usability] The new file chooser

Sitat Samuel Abels <newsgroups debain org>:

> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 20:38, john erling blad aftenposten no wrote:
> > On one specific server there are catalog structures consisting of
> > something
> > like /publisher/year/month/day/page/article.type
> > To traverse such a structure plainly though point and click is tiresome.
>
> Ok, this situation, though I believe it is probably very rare, may
> explain those situations may exist for some people, so I agree there
> should be *any way* to jump to a copied string. I do, however, not
> agree, that a seperate widget is required.
> Currently, this is possible by using the keyboard (CTRL+L), though I
> feel that this is not the best solution for everyone. I guess I second
> Dave's suggestion that pasting into the fileselector should "warp" you
> to the right location. That would be incredibly efficient and way
> cleaner as a text widget as well.

An accompanying single line text widget in filepickers has followed computer
users since the very first GUI wrapped OS'es. It should not be hidden levels
deep into the filepicker. It should be there right away when the filepicker is
triggered.

It is something all current users are familiar with. It is quick to learn.
And with it, users is given quick readily available options to choose how her
current purpose is best performed - whether it would be to open, copy or paste
a file OR filename at any given time.

I use all possible variants, depending on my need at the moment.

About pasting:
If I paste into something that looks like a text-widget, I expect to paste text.
If I paste into something containing icons (representing files), I expect to
paste icon(s) - representing the file(s) I paste. (In order to move/duplicate
file(s) into the location where i paste, depending on whether I earlyer
performed a cut/copy.)

The paste function should not be cluttered up by making it perform other
operations. That would start to get really confusing.

R.K.Aa.