Re: [Usability] Readonly indicator in window title (gedit)

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 18:45 +0100, John Spray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When updating gedit to comply with HIG2 about the indication of modified
> files, I've come across another problem: indicating readonly files.
>
> (sidenote: If the HIG's going to specify modification indicator,
> shouldn't it specify readonly indicator too?)
>
> In gedit right now, we append " (readonly)" in the window title, and " -
> RO" in the tab title.  The is annoying, because it means there are two
> separate bits of code for generating the title+modifiers.  So, what's
> best?
>
> 1. Leave it as it is, put up with ugly code duplication and
> inconsistancy, and extra translation string.
>
> 2. Change both to be RO
>
> 3. Change both to be (readonly)
>
> 4. $(Your brilliant idea here)

my number 4:

http://kunstradio.at/TEMP/mockupgedit.png

1st variant is an editor without tabs
2nd variant is the tab variant

important to say: both use the stock nautilus nowriteemblem, so the user
has a clue of consistency.

cheers markus hammer