Re: [Usability] Modified Documents

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Kirk Bridger wrote:

> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:22:46 -0700
> From: Kirk Bridger <kbridger shaw ca>
> To: Iain * <iaingnome gmail com>
> Cc: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Modified Documents
>
> I'm not convinced that all symbols have to be cryptic.  If implemented
> (i.e. chosen) carefully, a simple symbol (or icon) can nicely point out
> to the user that the document is read-only.  The emblems in
> Gnome/Nautilus work similarly, and frankly I think they work well.  It
> also maintains the consistency of the interface, to use the same icons
> as the file manager (if that's what we're calling it).
>
> What other states/info would we want to portray for the document?  It
> seems we're only talking about read-only status.  Is there anything else
> we should include?

Your comments make me think that the Status bar would be a more
approrpriate place to put an Icon indicating Read Only status.

I see the lock Icon on the status bar in Mozilla and wonder if that would
make sense to users?

On the other hand it might be too generic, a lock icon might be confusing
or ambiguous because unfortunately programs like Word Processors will need
to support "Locked" documents in which the content cannot (easily) be
changed (although in most the lock is little more than a read only flag or
XOR "encryption", used by people who really should be using PDF instead).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org