Re: [Usability] Modified Documents

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 00:39, Iain * wrote:
> Marlin puts "(modified)"after the file name because really what does * mean?
I think one of the key advantages of * is that it can be put before the
filename, and thus be visible in window lists.  In the window border
itself, I find a preceding asterisk a lot easier to scan for than
another word.

As for it being cryptic, I don't think that's a problem in practice.  I
think that most users just won't notice it to begin with, and will only
notice it when it pops up when they edit and disappears when they save.
In this way, it's implicitly explained.  True, it's somewhat displeasing
that the user should have to play around to figure out what something
means, but given that it's such a harmless/noncritical feature, it's
worth it for the benefits.

John

(I should probably mention that I filed 152815 *before* I had heard your
opinions on the matter, so please don't think I'm trying to be pushy!
If you really feel strongly about this then I can take a WONTFIX like a
man :-))