Re: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of desktop splash screens - some thoughts)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Christian Neumair wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:14:06 +0200
> From: Christian Neumair <chris gnome-de org>
> To: Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla hpcf upr edu>
> Cc: usability gnome org, janne <jan moren lucs lu se>,
>      desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Removing GNOME splash screens? (was: Re: Future of
>     desktop splash screens - some thoughts)
>
> Am Freitag, den 15.10.2004, 06:19 -0400 schrieb Ricardo Veguilla:

> > > The argument in favour is of course giving the user feedback that the
> > > startup is progressing. Make gnome startup fast enough and the need is
> > > gone.
> > [Sorry Janne, I forgot to CC the list]
> >
> > Or keep the splash screen, eliminate the icons, and use a simple
> > progress bar.
>
> I've completely disabled the splash screen for now and don't feel that
> anything lacks from my desktop; do be honest, I didn't really note it -
> Nautilus loaded pretty quickly. Why can't we simply display a busy
> cursor while the session is launched and react GUI-wise if something
> goes wrong?

I already posted to the desktop devel list on why I think the splash
screen is unnecessary.

I would favour getting rid of the splash screen entirely.
The only minor issue is that of providing user feedback which might
need to be provided in some other way if the splash screen was removed
which is where usability comes into the equation.

If the startup delay was shorter a simpler form of startup notification
like an hourglass would be enough.

Essentially I'd like things to start faster (and only start the
essentails) to reduce the need for the progress information and thus the
last remaining excuse for the splash screen.

> I now feel like having a splash screen is like looking at your watch
> while waiting for the bus - it won't drive faster, you're just
> disappointed that it's late and get upset.
>
> What about removing it completely? Do we really need "Welcome to
> GNOME"-fashioned branding?

I really dont think we do.  Even if we did a default Gnome branded
wallpaper would be more effective and simpler than a splash screen.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org