Re: [Usability] The first click in a non-focus window...

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 08:22, oregon wrote:
> What happens is this... if someone tries to click a button on a
> touchscreen, but the application on that screen isn't the active focus
> window, the first touch [like a mouse click] first makes the window
> the focus window and that first click event isn't received as a button
> click... but a second touch will click the button. Then if someone
> touches a button on a different touchscreen, that first touch is
> ignored again because it just makes the window active, and only the
> second touch actually clicks the button... So the two users are
> effectively having to click buttons twice for anything to happen if
> they are both clicking buttons at the same time.
>
> Help!  I'm currently running Fedora Linux with Gnome / Metacity and
> the application that is being clicked on is Opera... but I'm willing
> to change window managers or applications if needed to make this work.

Well, this is most probably a window manager issue, but my Metacity here
(I use 2.6 at work and 2.8 and home) doesn't show that sort of behavior
at all. Here, you click on a window and regardless of whether the window
has the focus or not, the click gets through and activates the
corresponding widget. Actually I wouldn't know how to make Metacity
behave like you describe, because even in gconf there doesn't seem to be
an option for that. But I may be missing something. Hopefully someone
more knowledgeable could enlighten us a bit.

Are you sure you're using Metacity and not something like Sawfish? I'm
pretty sure Sawfish can do that, but you can change the behaviour by
setting an option somewhere.

Cheers,

M. S.
--