Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

Beyond the minor usability gains from not having a super-mega-advanced config dialog you get to by pressing "Advanced..." in a config panel, software with fewer options is much easier to maintain and discover bugs. Different options creates a combinatorial explosion in the possible code paths.

In metacity, the biggest compromise we have in the configuration issue is clidk-to-focus vs mouse focus, and its a major source of hard-to-track-down bugs.

-Rob

Christian Schneider wrote:
Robert Fendt

4) Simple details of themes, like the size of icons in applications
cannot be modified. The icon size and arrangement of most themes is
almost ridiculous. At least on a 1024x768 laptop screen. Simple
possibility to reduze size and space between icons? Not that I know
of.

I find it quite usable if there are just icons and no text below.
Still, work towards "scalable user interfaces" would most likely be
appreciated by the gtk developers.

Again, the problem is that what I find usable and what you find usable
will naturally differ. As it will for many users. Everyone is different in
his/her preferences. So it _has_ to be configurable.

You have wirtten that kde is bloated. Have you ever wondered why?
I think it is because they try to expose too many options in the interface.

Gnome gives up some configurability to keep options simple. Naturally this means that not every thinkable option can be configured. It is of course a tough decision which options keep in and which not. The browse mode is an option that came in again after much discussion.

Some of your special settings are probably not as widely used. So probably these won´t be configurable from the interface.

btw. There is another problem in having too many options. Gnome will look and behave very different for each user if there is too much configurability. Imagine you try to help someone over the phone. If he uses very different options you won´t be able to help him because on your desktop it will work in a different way.

greets

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de