Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Robert Fendt wrote:
> > That's right. Although I stick to my point: it is _not_ up to the GNOME
> > developers to decide with which metaphor the user is more comfortable. I
> > am an old stager and very comfortable with browse mode. Why semi-forcing
> > me to switch? And even for new users: there should be a wizard at first
> > start (like KDE does) asking a few simple questions about the user's
> > background and configure it accordingly.

So it could be "next-clicked" through by most of the users? What's the point?

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:22:44 +0100 (IST), Alan Horkan
<horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> I expect the developers wanted to get you to at least try it (and probably
> no one wanted to make the extra effort on getting the seamless upgrade to
> work so that you could ignore their efforts.)

That too, but I think the main reason was to *not* to expose new users
to anything but the spatial mode.

Also, it would take far too much text (read: more than one sentence)
to introduce spatial mode to a newcomer for her to make any good
decision whether it's right for her or not. So the developers made the
decision for her. Old farts can switch the default back to
navigational (note that it was never actually disabled, just made a
secondary interface) if the spatial-ness is too much to handle.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi