Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

Dave Ahlswede wrote:

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 09:44 +0100, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
Kalle Vahlman wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:33:38 +0100, Maurizio Colucci
<seguso forever tin it> wrote:

- He was annoyed by the difficulty of searching a folder (he has some
very long folders). He saw the gnome-search-tool in the menu, but he did
not like to have to locate the folder in the file-selection dialog,
since he was already viewing the folder in nautilus. He suggested to add
a "search this folder" option in the right-button menu of nautilus. He
also suggested a quick-search box to quickly find things in long
folders, like in thunderbird (which he uses). He discovered nautilus
scrolls when you press a letter, but this wasn't sufficient for him. (In
Windows he uses the "advanced search tool".)
Too bad he didn't try to type more letters, as it would have worked
the same way...

Sorry, maybe I should have specified that he didn't know the first letters of the file (e.g. is it "michael jackson - bad" or "bad - michael jackson"?). And he did not know the exact folder as well.

Mau

Nautilus' icon view typeahead does need some work, I think-- it only
works with letters at the beginning of a file, and it always starts from
the top, so there's no way to search for a second match. Very
troublesome when you have a file with a similar, but shorter name to a
subfolder within a folder.

If it could be implemented like the TreeView typeahead support in Gtk+
2.5, it would be perfect.

I don't know the typeahead feature you mention, but... wouldn't a quick-search box a-la Evolution be more discoverable? Also, since it would narrow the visible files to only those files containing the string, it would match more than one file, making distant files become close to each other. (So you don't have to sort by name and set folders intermixed with files before you search.)
Third, you don't have the hassle of typing quickly.

Mau