Re: [Usability] Re: Menubar (and Empty Default Desktop) Proposals for

> The desktop takes extra effort to expose.

that's the key.

>It doesn't necessarily follow that we should therefore remove everything
>from the desktop, but once you put things like 'Home' and 'Trash' elsewhere,
>you can reserve the desktop for things the user wishes to put there.

exactly. i see users every day complaining about how it's so difficult for them
to find things, and when i see their desktop i shudder. starting them off with a
clean desktop and by placing things in the panel will help show/'train' them to
see that there are alternatives to a cluttered desktop.

it's kinda like, "hey, buddy, you can keep your most used applications here and
use your desktop for documents or whatever you want!"

it also helps when application installers don't clutter up the desktop, but
that's not currently an issue with gnome. ;)